Friday, April 15, 2011

The Only Way to Get Anything Finished

My new love is for audio books. I thought listening to Chuck Palahniuk's stories while I drift into sleep would help make my dreams more vivid. Instead I can't sleep because I am so intrigued. I almost wrote "too intrigued" but i don't think that is possible, Chuck Palahniuk is my favorite author. But listening to these books allows me lay in bed and rest while staying awake until morning. I feel rested in the morning.  I said in my first post that I miss my insomnia, well, here it is. It is back. During the day I tend to drift from moment to moment. Without my ADHD medication (thanks to insurance that leaves me suddenly cut off from what I need) it is hard to remember what I do during the day. The daytime hours are there to achieve what needs to be done to keep the technical aspects of life going while the night time can be spent more creatively. Generally. Business hours keep us on such a schedule. During the day with the sun in my eyes and the sounds of life around me I forget everything not having to do with finding a job, going to the bank, dealing with the department of workforce services, worker's compensation, legal issues, the post office, doctor's appointments and all of that jazz. The zombie hours.
Grocery shopping is best at night. Anyone that is awake during the night is a weirdo. Hands down. Our sleep cycles sync with the rise and fall of the sun no matter what. People that can work graveyard shifts and sacrifice their vitamin D are built to be able to handle being in the dark. Although some people never get used to the grave shift because their sleep cycles do not adjust to being awake while the sun is down, but still they work. All grave shift workers are united in a strange way. I worked the grave shift for a while once before a girl decided to attempt to rob me at gun point... but that's a story for another entry.
If I get this job with cleaning up crime scenes I will be on call. I am looking forward to it. The idea of a job where every day is different and unexpected makes my heart flutter and gut churn. I can't wait to be a part of Salt Lake City's under belly. I hope I get the job.
I am going to sum up this entry with what inspired me to make a post in the first place. Listening to "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk there is a passage that is so poetic to me. Summed up, not word for word, the story mentions that people feel death is the only way to get anything finished.

P.s- I hate missing roller derby. Today I was hit suddenly with a terribly upset stomach. I have missed the last 2 practices and fiend the feel of wheels under my feet.

2 comments:

  1. We miss you too Blue. Get well soon, and I hope you get this job too. It seems like something you really want, so I want it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think audio books are so much fun. I'm trying to incorporate them more in my life... so far, I've really enjoyed Sherman Alexie, Isaac Asimov, Guillermo Del Toro, etc. :)

    Anyways, you definitely see the oddest things at night when you do the grocery shopping late at night. I've seen quite a bit and it never makes it boring. I'm happy because I don't deal with the crowds. I think the older I get - the more paranoid of large groups I get...

    ReplyDelete